Easter Bunny Cob Loaf with Egg Salad Recipe
Keep the kids entertained these school holidays with this fun and delicious Easter Bunny cob that even adults alike will love.
1 brown onion finely diced
4 rashers bacon finely diced
2/3 cup sour cream
½ cup whole egg mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chives finely chopped
1 lemon finely grated
1 tbs lemon juice
250g frozen spinach thawed
COB AND CRUDITES
1 crusty cob bread loaf
2 hot dog rolls
2 black olives
1 bunch of baby carrots trimmed peeled and halved for dipping
1 packet Qukes halved lengthways
1 yellow capsicum sliced
1 red capsicum sliced
1. Egg salad: place eggs into a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Place over a high heat and bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and cool. Peel eggs and cut 2 centre slices from one of the eggs and reserve for the bunny eyes. Chop the remaining eggs and place them into a large bowl.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and bacon and cook for 10 minutes or until tender and bacon is golden. Cool. Add to chopped egg.
3. Add sour cream, mayonnaise, chives, lemon rind, and lemon juice to egg mixture. Squeeze liquid from spinach and discard. Add the spinach to the egg mixture. Stir until well combined. Season.
4. Cob and crudites: preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Trim top off cob to create a lid and remove soft bread from base leaving a 2cm border. Tear soft bread into 3cm pieces and place onto prepared baking tray. Spray with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and crisp, adding the cob for the final 10 minutes. Cool.
5. Place base of cob onto a large board. Position top of cob above base forming the rabbit’s head. Trim hot dog rolls and place under head to form rabbit ears. Add reserved egg slices to rabbit head along with 2 slices of black olives for the eyes. Use chives as the whiskers and a slice of black olive for the nose. Spoon egg mixture into cob base. Serve egg salad cob with toasted bread, carrots, Qukes, and capsicum.